This vegan dish truly is ‘soup for the soul’. Packed to the brim with beta-carotene (thanks to the sweet potatoes and carrots) this clean soup is beyond nourishing. It is relatively simple to make and fragrant thanks to the magical herb thyme!
This herb has a long history of use in natural medicine in connection with chest and respiratory problems including coughs, bronchitis and chest congestion. The paprika gives this dish a light smoky flavour and it freezes well too!
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large red onion (diced)
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes (washed, peeled and chopped into cubes)
- 4 carrots (washed, peeled and roughly chopped)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tbsp. dried thyme
- 3 garlic gloves (crushed)
- 1 cup uncooked red lentils (rinsed thoroughly)
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp. smoked paprika
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium sized pot over a medium heat.
- Add the red onion and garlic. Saute until the red onion is soft.
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots and thyme and cook for a few minutes, while stirring.
- Add rinsed lentils, smoked paprika, water, vegetable stock and simmer on a low heat for around 20-25 minutes (until the vegetables and lentils are soft). Stirring occasionally.
- Add soup to a blender and blend until smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. If you feel it’s too thick, add a bit more water.
- Serve and finish with a sprinkle of smoked paprika and fresh thyme.
Inspired by love, life, family and knowledge.